TEST FOR GRACE
We need to live in Jesus' grace by the leading of the Holy Spirit. It's important that we, God's people, free ourselves from the ministry of the Law (i) because the Bible teaches that the Law brings condemnation and death (ii) - these manifest in passivity, depression and sickness (iii). Sadly brothers and sisters many believes are experiencing this horrible fruit of the Law, often convinced that it's God punishing them or training them.
Because most of us have grown up with a mixture of grace and religious law, many find it hard to distinguish whether what they are hearing or thinking is rooted in grace or Law. One can't generalize but over the years I have found that Believers can test by asking the following questions. This simple test that will normally expose if the root is Law or Grace.
1. If it points to Jesus and what He has done for us on the cross - it's normally grace. If it points to you and what you should be doing for God - its normally Law.
2. If the fruit in you is condemnation or guilt - it's Law. If the fruit in you is freedom - it's grace
3. If it's about God's judgment and punishment - it's Law. If it's about God' love and forgiveness - it's grace.
4. If it harps on about your sinfulness - it's Law. If it focuses on your Christ given righteousness - it's grace.
5. If it's about, techniques, methods and principles - it's Law. If it's about hearing and being lead by the Holy Spirit - it's grace.
6. If it restricts or discourages you form sharing and ministering - it's Law. If it encourages and releases you to share and minister - it's grace.
7. If it causes you to judge others - it's Law. If it causes you to see the God given potential in others - it's grace.
8. If it from the Old Testament without pointing to Jesus or the New Covenant - it's Law If it reveals Jesus and the good news of His New Covenant - it's grace.
9. If it accuses you, like Satan the accuser,- it's Law If it affirms you - it's grace
10. If it's focus is on you being God's servant or slave - it's Law If it declares you to be a beloved child of The Father, who is about the Fathers work - it's grace.
11. If it's about your performance - it's Law. If it's about resting in Christ - it's grace
12. If it's focus is you obeying - it's Law. If it's about Jesus' obedience - it's grace.
13. If it declares you cursed - it's Law. If it declares you blessed - it's grace.
14. If the focus on what you sow - it's Law. If the focus is on what Jesus has sown on the cross - it's grace.
15. If it causes to to fear and run away from God - it's Law. If it stirs up faith and intimacy with God - it's grace.
There are many more that I'm sure you can think of, let me know. Be wise and be discerning, test all things, including this.
Blessing and love to you in Christ.
THE SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES
(i) Gal 3:1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? (ii)Deu 28:15 However, if you do not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees (The Law) that I, Moses, am giving you today, all these curses will come upon you and overtake you........ (iii) 2Co 3:7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!